Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Doctor
Experience:  6 years of experience as family physician, general practitioner; MD Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma
14756658

What are the normal 61-year-old adult male ranges for hematocrit

What are the 'normal' 61-year-old adult male ranges for hematocrit? One doctor I had adheres to anything over 47 meant purge blood. Another says 50 is normal range and yet another publication stipulates 42-54 as normal. Clarify please.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Bhumika replied 7 years ago.

You need to understand a few things - this is a range and by itself is not important - unles co related with clinical features and hemoglobin values.

Not much importance is given if it is close to the normal range.

It is significant only if it is abnormally low - for example less than 30 or less than 40 and associated with low hemoglobin or bleeding, palllor etc.

Otherwise for all practical purposes the range is 42 - 55.

I have tried to give an extensive answer, however please let me know if you need any other information.

Please click - ACCEPT if you find this helpful so that i get paid for my work . A bonus would be appreciated.

Best regards.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Several months ago I moved from sea level to a higher mountain elevation. I was told that sometimes elevation can be a cause of an increase in red blood cells. Lab work showed such an increase in my case and my doctor at the time stipulated that I must purge blood (500cc) for an hct reading over 47 which I did on 3-4 occasions. I have since returned to my original address in Florida and recently had lab work done here with a reading of 52. My doctor here sees no need for alarm and recommends nothing such as further purging.. I'm simply confused as to any 'necessity' to purge blood for what was described as a 'secondary' polycythemia. I was told I do not exhibit any of the noticable symptoms such as flushing in the face or headaches associated with this condition. As stated before I'm simply confused at the approaches to this from different doctors and just exactly when I should consider a phlebotomy if any at all?

Yes you are right about altitude leading to raised hematocrit ; but the decision to purge blood - really questionable.

Your current doctor is right about not worrying at a hematocrit of 52.

You do not need phlebotomy till a hematocrit of 60% and that too if you are showing symptoms.

Best regards.