Dr. Ryan
Dr. Ryan, Doctor
Experience:  Bachelor in Nursing, 3+ years nursing experience, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine

I was reading another users question about charlie horse like

I was reading another users question about charlie horse like cramps in the upper rib cage area...and that is exactly what I have...and have had for several years. Different postions and situations cause the cramping to come on. I had learned to live with it. But, just yesterday, I noticed a dime size cyst like bump...that feels like it is right on my sternum. It is in about the place that the cramps occur, even though the cramps span the hole length of the muscle. I am worried, and don't know what to think of it. It isn't a hard cyst...it moves a little. Any thoughts...could it be a hernia?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Ryan replied 4 years ago.

Hello and interesting question, hopefully I'll be able to help you out a bit. First of all, it would be very, very unusual to have any kind of hernia in this area, so I wouldn't worry about that at all. There are a couple of possibilities that I think it may be.

First of all, if the small bump is along one of the edges of the sternum, it could be what we would call a tender or "trigger point". These are very common in this area because this is where the pectoralis muscles attach, as well as where the ribs interact with the sternum. So this could be a possibility. These areas can also become inflamed when your back is irritated because the back end of the rib interacts with the spinal vertebrae, so if one end is out, it's likely the other could be as well. Either way, inflammation at the joint between the ribs and sternum is quite common and is called costochondritis. It's typically treated with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications or ointments.

Secondly it could a small cyst, but that would be quite unusual, and probably not cause a great deal of issues.

I hope this helps, and it may be worth taking some nonsteroidal anti inflammatories such as motrin or ibuprofen, or if you have insurance there is also a new prescription gel called voltaren gel that works well.

I hope this helps, if not, let me know, best of luck...

Please ask if you need clarification/more information.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are greatly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor, and does not establish a patient-physician relationship

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so you think that the charlie horse like cramping I get to the right of my sternum that feels like a muscle cramp is costochondritis? It doesn't hurt to the touch at all, like some of the symptoms I have read online...it just cramps up every once in a while and causes a ton of pain and discomfort.
Expert:  Dr. Ryan replied 4 years ago.

Hello again, it's entirely possible that it could be costochondritis. Typically this is more of a localized pain along the sternum, but it can cause pain to radiate out to the side. It's also possible that it could be just what you're saying, a muscle cramp either due to muscle strain or caused by the irritated rib.

If it's happening on a regular basis it may be worth getting looked at, because it certainly doesn't sound like much fun. But if this is an occasional thing, some daily stretching of that area for a couple of weeks may be all that it takes to get rid of it.

Let me know if you have further questions...

Dr. Ryan, Doctor
Experience: Bachelor in Nursing, 3+ years nursing experience, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine