Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Doctor
Experience:  6 years of experience as family physician, general practitioner; MD Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma
14756658

During a hospital stay (Dec. 2009) my daughter acquired abacterial

During a hospital stay (Dec. 2009) my daughter acquired abacterial fungal infection in her blood.   She was treated with Fluconazole for ten weeks.   During the first five weeks she was also on 20mgs of Simvastatin.   The local chemist flagged up that there was a potentially severe reaction between the two drugs, indicating an increased risk of myopathy. She is currently experiencing muscle weakness, slow/ slurred speech, lack of concentration and tingling sensations.   Could this be after effects of the Fluconazole or could this possibly be myopathy. I have not mentioned any of this to my daughter, but would like more information plesae.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Bhumika replied 7 years ago.

These could be due to two causes - her prolonged illness or as a side effect of the simvastatin

But the good news is - whatever cause - this would resolve when she is healthy and back to her normal self.

Encourage a good diet, multi vitamins and juices etc in her diet.

Light exercises would help with an early recovery.

I have tried to give an extensive answer, however please let me know if you need any other information.

Please click - ACCEPT if you find this helpful so that i get paid for my work and the deposit you have made is released. A bonus would be appreciated.

Best regards.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately I do not feel you have answered the question. I appreciate it will take a long time for my daughter to recover from such a serious illness and I already know the side effects of Smivastatin. I stated in my question that the pharmacists had flagged up the increased risk of myopathy from taking two drugs at the one time that were incompatable. I also asked if her symptoms could be the after effects of the Fluconazole. You didn't address either of these points your answer.

There might be any number of reasons why my daughter is experiencing these symptoms, but I specifically want to have an answer about the question of Fluconazole and or Myopathy.

I hope this feedback is helpful.

Thank you for the feedback.

However the answer is - No, As per information currently available, there seems to be no indication of flucanozole to have directly triggered the symptoms in your daughter.

It is more likely that the symptoms are caused by the statins that she took ALONG with fluconazole. This combination is known to cause myopathy, but I guess you already have that information.

Hope this answer helped. If it did, please click ACCEPT.