Dr. Amir Javed
Dr. Amir Javed, Doctor
Experience:  Master in Internal medicine (London), MBBS, expert in health and fitness (six years experience)

discovered blood in my semen..strsight to a urologist

I have just discovered blood in my semen. I have read that it can be everything from minor to catastrophic. Shall I give it a week or so to clear up, or go strsight to a urologist?

The blood in semen is called hematospermia. I would say there are various possibilities for hematospermia. Some of these are

Infections including STDs

Inflammation of the prostate, epididmysis or urethera

calculi (stones similar to stones of kidney in the seminal vesicles or prostate

Polyps of urethera

Benign or malignant tumors of the bladder, seminal vesicles, testicle and bladder

In my opinion there is no such thing of waiting for a week in medicine especially if you are getting blood in semen. The blood in a semen is a serious symptom and need to be throughly investigated along with consultation of Urologist.

I can give you the possibilities here because exact diagnosis is not possible without examination.

Best wishes and keep in touch

Dr. Amir Javed