How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 11946
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an area on the back of my head at the base of the skull

This answer was rated:

I have an area on the back of my head at the base of the skull that feels like something is crawling on it. It is only on my left side. I do have neck problems but have never had this sensation before. I do not have any pain with it. I very seldom have headaches. I have been having double vision, problems staying awake. I can actually feel my eyes crossing. It takes me a little bit to actually get my eyes back in focus.    Could all this have something to do with the crawly feeling on the base of my skull.
Is this painful?

Or an altered sensation?

Is it always on that single side?

Do you know what kind of neck problems you have?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No it is not painful. Not the sensation anyway. I do have pain in my neck when I turn it either direction. It is always on the left side. I have degenetive artitihis of the spine.

Well, the sensation to the back part of the head actually comes from nerves that are branches of the cervical nerves, or the neck.

So people that have degenerative changes and pressure on the nerves in their neck can have symptoms that involve the back of the head.

The fact that you have some pain in the neck could be a contributing factor to these weird sensations in the back of the head.

However, it really is impossible to say much more about this, without having your doctor examine you in person, since either way -- it should have nothing to do with your vision, or double vision (this would have to do with the eye muscles or the nerve to the eye muscles). You probably would benefit from seeing your doctor for a detailed neurologic exam and further testing (which may include imaging of the brain).
Dr. Mark and other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been having problems with my vision. I see a Dr. for my eyes, but he couldn't answer why I have the double vision at times. I can be working on the computer or watching TV and all of a sudden I see two of everything. It is verticale. I have had this happen when I am driving and it scares the hell out of me. It seems to happen when driving in the sun when it is hot and I feel very tired. It feels like losing control of the muscles that control the eyes. When I was real young, I was crosseyed but out grew it. When I have a photo taken looking straight, you can see that the right eye still turns in just a little. The eye Dr. said that could have something to do with the problem that I am having now in my older years.

I also saw a Double vision Dr. and he said that my right eye was a little lower than the left and suggested putting a prism on the lense of my reading glasses. I have not done that yet. I didn't want to spend $100's of dollars for reading glasses when I can get readding glasses from the drug store that works fine. Is there anything else that you could suggest. I also had lens replacement in both eyes two year ago. The distance is great but still need reading glasses and my eyes seem to be getting worse.