Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

my leg cannot extend straight without hurting. the pain is

my leg cannot extend straight without hurting. the pain is from my calve all the way up my leg
Do you have pain in the back?

And the buttock? Back of the thigh? Back of the knee, into the calf and the bottom of the foot?

How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

probably for the last week

Do you have pain in the back?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well i have pain in the back every so often because i have herniated discs in my lower back, but my back feels fine, and its jsut my leg. my left leg extends without pain at the knee joint but my right leg does not, it even hurts crossing my right leg over my left. but my left leg over my right is no pain. the front of the thigh is where most of the pain is
OK.

Well, the distribution of the pain in your leg certainly sounds as if it could be nerve-related, and given your history of herniated discs in your lower back -- is sounds as if some of these nerves may be getting "pinched" and inflammed in the lower back.

This could cause pain that appears to originate in the thigh and lower leg (depending on the nerve).

Typically, such pains will improve with time, most cases improving within a few weeks, as the inflammation in the nerve improves.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article1469.html
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so its not possible that i have sprained my mcl? or anything like that?
Well, typically, that type of pain would be localized at the knee.

The pain that is in the thigh and goes into the calf seems to be related more to a nerve.