Christy Hammond
Christy Hammond, Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Experience:  I have a B.S.N and more than 10 years of training and experience in patient care and education
902388

Does suboxone cause a false positive for benzos on a urine

Customer Question

Does suboxone cause a false positive for benzos on a urine screen?
Category: Health
Expert:  Christy Hammond replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Suboxone is not reported as a substance known to cause a positive or false positive benzodiazepine result on a urine drug screen. During Suboxone treatment a mild anti-anxiety medication may be prescribed briefly and most of these would cause a legitimate positive result (vs. evidence of illicit use). Can you tell me what type of urine screen was used? (instant/dipstick screen, immunoassay, or GC/MS) This is important because there are several substances that may cause a false positive on the on site instant tests or basic immunoassay screen. These are preliminary tests, mainly because of their speed and lower expense, but the results should be confirmed by a GC/MS urine screen which is considered nearly 100% accurate and is admissible in any court. This test can differentiate the prescence of the benzodiazepine from the possible cross reactive substances.
Experience: I have a B.S.N and more than 10 years of training and experience in patient care and education
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't know what kind of test it was. My guess is it was an "I-Cup" since this particular tester usually uses those. My client is under a physicians care for many things including addiction. I have asked him to get his health care provider to clarify why he would show positive for benzos but.........

Thnaks

Any preliminary test should be confirmed using GC/MS. It is possible, even likely that she has been prescribed a benzodiazepine, either recently or in the past, examples include valium, xanax, ativan, Klonapin, temazepam. These are typically prescribed for anxiety, to prevent seizures in alcohol withdrawal, for sleep and to ease muscle spasms in withdrawal. It is also possible they were prescribed in the past and she used the left over pills to self medicate during withdrawal, or during early recovery. These are also common drugs of abuse and it wouldn't be unusual for someone struggling with addiction to buy these illegally. She should obtain an accurate prescription report from her pharmacy (or pharmacies) most will provide a detailed print out or offer printable versions online. This would not be considered a false positive, but if it is the result of a prescribed medication it is from legitimate use and should not be held against her.

Good luck to you both, take care, Christy