Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK

What can cause all over body (muscle) aches and stiffness/tightness

What can cause all over body (muscle) aches and stiffness/tightness? My dr. tested for tender points. I just found out my TSH is high and I have mild hypothyroidism. Put on Cytomel. I had a baby 12/15, so they said it could just be postpartum thyroid problems. The aches and tightness started about 2 months postpartum. It's mostly in my back, but I feel tightness in my arms and legs like I need to stretch. I've had all blood work, MRI on spine, and urinalysis, so I'm at a loss. Thanks for any imput!
if you have thyroid problems and just started treatment for it. it will 4-6 weeks for the symptoms to improve. it is very common to have muscles ache and fatigue with low thyroid. if the symptoms don't improve following therapy then other tests like liver function test and CPK should be done.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks. What is CPK and liver function test? I've had many tests...just wondering if I've done those as well.

My body just feels achy and kinda weak. In the morning I feel really tight...throughout the day it feels a tad bit better. Then at night it's achy and is tight again. Is this normal for MILD hypothyroid? Is there anything else I could consider? Could your body just achy all over for no reason?

a 29 year old should not be achy for no reason. CPK is a blood test done to look for muscle enzymes. liver function tests include AST, ALT, alkaline phosphatase. yes low thyroid can be doing all this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have TMJ caused by orthodontics....could that cause this? I also noticed that when I started taking Prilosec, Zantac or antacids is when all this pain started? Can antacids cause muscular pain? If not, I guess I will continue on my thyroid meds and see what happens.
TMJ issues should not cause tenderness all over the body. the best way is to stop antacids if you think they are the problem. zantac can cause headache, diarrhea, muscle aches so may be thats the problem
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How long before the zantac/famotidine (I had taken famotidine for the past few weeks, then started taking Zantac) is out of my system? I felt a little better yesterday not taking anything, but still feel achy and somewhat sore. Thanks for your help.