Dr. Ryan
Dr. Ryan, Doctor
Experience:  Bachelor in Nursing, 3+ years nursing experience, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
11446854

Can you detect STDS in a urine sample?

Can you detect STDS in a urine sample?

Hello and excellent question. It is possible to get tested for gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, trichomonas, via a urine test, but they have to be looked for specifically.

These would not show up on a normal urine test for say a urinary tract infection, but will show up if the test is ordered.

I hope this answers your question, if not, please let me know. Best wishes...

Please ask if you need clarification/more information.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are greatly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor, and does not establish a patient-physician relationship

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
are those the only ones that can be detected via a urine test?

Hello again, in short, yes. These are the tests that can be run on a urine at the facilities where I have worked and that I am aware. Some variation may happen between facilities, but it's possible to identify all of these in the urine.

If you have questions about a specific one std, please feel free to ask, best wishes...

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can HPV be dectected in a unrine test.

Well, tricky question. The research is indicating that it can, and the sensitivity is strong, however that one is probably going to depend on the facility. The gold standard is generally the pap smear to identify HPV but I think that in the near future this will change to use the urine, as it's obviously much easier.