Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

What is this raised red line (bump) on my neck

Customer Question

I have a raised red bump at the nape of my neck. It is sore to the touch, but otherwise not noticeable. It is about 1.5 inches long.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 5 years ago.

Hello

From what you are describing it sounds like a type of folliculitis or infected hair follicle. Folliculitis is often caused by the Staphylococcus aureus (staph) bacteria. Although staph bacteria live on your skin all the time, they generally cause problems only when they enter your body through a cut or other wound. This can occur through shaving or with an injury to the skin such as infected hair follicle. Generally speaking, tight underwear, friction from sitting long periods of time, use of hot tubs or hot baths, dermatitis, obesity, hot weather, diabetes, and certain medical conditions can all lead to folliculitis. Normally, folliculitis does not require treatment unless it reoccurs (as yours has) or if the lesions become red, warm to the touch, and swollen/ooze. Antibiotics are often prescribed in this case and also a topical cream to help keep the breakouts down to a minimum.

The nape of the neck, groin, and underarm is a likely place for Folliculitis to occur.

********************

If my answer has provided you with some good insight today, please click "Accept" and I will received proper credit for my time and effort, otherwise, JustAnswer.com will hold your deposit. Before leaving feedback, please let me know if you need clarification or more info.

Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What am I supposed to do about this?

If the area is bothering you, you will need to have it incised and drained. If it begins to ooze or is warm to the touch, or becomes painful, you will also need to have it checked.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I may have misinformed by saying "nape" of my neck. It is not on my hair line and more toward the center of my neck. It is about 1.5 or 2 inches below my hairline.

The area is also about 1-1.5 inches long.

I understood. Same answer applies.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will it go away?
Some times it will go away on it's own, but like I said, just keep a check on it and if it begins to get bigger or painful, you should have it checked.