Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Doctor
Experience:  6 years of experience as family physician, general practitioner; MD Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma
14756658

I have sudden onset of extreme fatigue. it comes on me like

Customer Question

I have sudden onset of extreme fatigue. it comes on me like a ton of bricks even when I've just been awakw for two hours after six hours of sleep. I used to have hypothyroidism but all tests have been normal for three years. Sleep studies have been negative. My iron has been a little low my entire life but the fatigue has only been in the last couple years. What's going on?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Bhumika replied 7 years ago.

There can be many possible reasons for the symptoms that you mention. Some of them may include:
1. anemia
2. nutritional disorders
3. hormonal imbalances
4. fluid and body salt deficiencies
5. low grade infections

The symptoms you mention could also be due to low iron or low thyroid levels.

Anemia is caused by low levels of iron in blood. There are also many other causes of anemia. If you have pale skin and nails which are not pink in color, you may have anemia

Nutritional disorders include, vitamin and mineral deficeincies,and most of them can be taken care of with you a balanced diet and taking supplements if required.

Hormonal imbalances particularly thyroid ds - which would need to be investigated further and is treatable once diagnosed.

Fluid and salt disturbances would respond to taking at least 1.5 to 2 litres of water everyday and adequate salt and sugars in your daily diet.

Low grade infections of blood or intestines would present with mild weakness. It may help to take a de-worming course - which is a single tablet. This should help with your symptoms.

Avoid stress and take some over the counter pain relief medications - your symptoms should subside.

It would help to get an ECHO done.

I have tried to give an extensive answer, however please let me know if you need any other information.

Please click - ACCEPT if you find this helpful so that i get paid for my work and the deposit you have made is released. A bonus would be appreciated.

Best regards.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had an echo done and it was normal except for frequent PVCs.Thyroid levels are normal as are salt and water ratio. My iron has always been low with no known cause but the fatigue has been onlythe last two years.

How much is your hemoglobin?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
11.6

You should continue with the multivitamin medications you are taking now - eat a healthy balanced diet and drink plenty of water daily.

The only case that has not been rule out is - Low grade infections of blood or intestines would present with mild weakness. It may help to take a de-worming course - which is a single tablet. This should help with your symptoms.

Best regards.