How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 34309
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i feel like i have a knot in my stomach, or like a ball or

This answer was rated:

i feel like i have a knot in my stomach, or like a ball or something. my upper stomach is swollen to where i look like i am 7 or 8 months pregnant. i first noticed it about 6 years ago when my grandaughter sat in my lap and leaned back against my stomach. it felt like someone knocked the wind out of me. one day i leaned down to tie my shoe and it felt like i hit something and it felt like it rolled. any ideas?



How old are you? Do you have bloating, loss of appetite, diarrhea/constipation, nausea/vomiting? Is the ball increases on coughing, sneezing or straining?


Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i am 53 and i do have constipation and you can feel it, or something when you cough. when i lean backwards to was my hair in the shower and look down at my stomach, it looks like a pregnant woman when the baby has a fist stuck againt your stomach. you can actually see it sticking out......whatever it is.



An abdominal hernia is a possibility, like paraumbilical hernia. This can occur due to weakness of the muscles. This becomes more prominent when one stoops or strains the abdomen wall by coughing, sneezing or carrying weight. An examination by a physician would be prudent. Treatment is usually surgical though an abdominal corset may be tried.


Please feel free for your follow up questions.


Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you