Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience:  M.D.

symptoms; severe hip pain, shoulder pain, jaw pain in that

Customer Question

symptoms; severe hip pain, shoulder pain, jaw pain in that order. Started on right side but has spread to both sides except for the jaw pain which is the newest and it is only on the right side. When sleeping, strong, deep muscle contractions in the right arm between the shoulder and the elbow every few seconds, some lasting for 3 - 4 seconds. Also muscle twitches in the left arm but not strong like in the right arm. Cramps in calves at night. Have tried steroids and steroid shots ( temp relief), celebrex ( not helping ) triptophan just makes me feel weird and groggy(sleeping pill (Ambien ) can't sleep in too much pain, pill brings 1 hour sleep. Have had xrays, MRI shows tear in labrum right side, new mri scheduled for shoulder. Can't help but think this is all related. Does anybody have any ideas? All blood work normal except for I have genetic hemachromotosis and have strated giving blood this week. In pain ( since Aug & is getting worse )and weak. What is wrong? lab results ok
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 7 years ago.
Will you please answer some questions-
1.Since when it is there?
2.Is there any aggravating or relieving factors for this pain?
3.Is pain intermittent or continuous?
4.Is pain migrating or continuous & at the same time in all joints?
5.Is there any associated fever?
6.Is there any drugs you are taking?
Please reply.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1.The hips started hurting in August, the rest followed with the jaw pain coming last and starting abou.t 3 weeks ago.

2. Worse at night when I sleep. A shot of cortisone in my right bursa gave relief for 10 days. Gave 100% relief to all other pain with the right hip getting about 85% relief.

4.migrates but the right hip and shoulder are continous and the left side depends on what i am doing. The jaw is in the morning.

5. no fever

6.celebrex 200 mg twice a day but it doesnt seem to help. I have been getting up in the middle of the night and taking 6 ibuprofen. ambien........isn't doing anything for me. I don't have trouble falling asleep, just staying asleep due to pain. Also bp meds and a multi-vitamin, glucosamine/msm

Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 7 years ago.
As you are a patient of the hemochromatosis i think you should know that hemochromatosis has effect on multiple organs one of them is joints also.In hemochromatosis patients there are chances of developing arthritis i think you are progressing towards that.The only way to help with your condition is prevention.You should do following to have relief-
1.Start having analgesic with anti inflammatory effect like advil.
2.Avoid the actions which puts a lot of the stress over the joints like frequent stairing up or down,knee bending movements.lifting heavy weights,running at high speed.
3.You should concentrate more towards giving the blood to control your ferritin level of the blood.Depending on the severity you should give blood per every one or two week which should be evry 3-4 months as serum ferritin levels approaches normal.
4.Avoid intake of substances having vit.C like citrous foods.
5.You may apply a local analgesic ointment a do warm fomentation over the affected part to have relief.
Hope this all will help you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm glad you sent an email because my internet went down and the first screen was lost. Ibuprofen is already being taken, not helping. He has some arthritis, we know that, but this pain is way too severe. He is taking celebrex AND on his own has added ibuprofen but it is not helping. He is not sleeping at night, at all. He works construction and has always gone to the gym but is unable to do anything now. Any tiny bit of relief comes when he is moving but without weight bearing but once he stops the pain is severe. Just started giving blood and is on a program through the hospital to continue to control the iron level which wasn't really all that high but they tested him and found out it was genetic. Have tried ice and heat to no avail. Seems like it has something to do with the nerves and joints. What affect does vitamin C have? He eats alot of fruit. Need the pain to stop and need to get sleep but nothing is working. Any other suggestions? I am on my lunch hour so I may have to get back to you after 2.
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for providing more information.
If any of these things are not helping you then still there are more methods which can improve your condition .You start using cane in your opposite side & if you are over weight then you should reduce your weight.You may also add drugs like diacerin which helps with repairing of damaged cartilage.If all this does not help you then you may ask to your doctor about the local intra articular steroid injection which will give you relief in pain.
Hope this will be helpful.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not at all overweight, very much in shape especially for a 53 year old man. I take Glucosamine and MSM, not sure what diacerin is? I have had 3 injections, one in the groin, one in the bursa and one in the right shoulder. The only one that even phased me was the one in the bursa and it gave me temporary relief. Both sides hurt, it's just that the right side is more severe. I was hoping that by going on this website somebody could come up with some common denominator for all of the symptoms. So far, unfortunately you have not told me anything new and some of the suggestions were already addressed in my initial request. I would be happy to pay for new information but I am in the same place I was when I started. We are pretty desparate for some relief. Thank you for your time and if you come up with anything new I would be happy and grateful to pay for the information but this time we have struck out.
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 7 years ago.
I will feel more satisfied if you have any relief & if i may give any help to you.But i do think the common denominator for all your problem is hemochromatosis,Only prevention & getting treated for hemochromatosis with chondroprotective drugs will be sufficient to prevent further progression of your disease.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.