Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

Can Azithromycin be used to treat eye infections - such as

Can Azithromycin be used to treat eye infections - such as "pink eye"?

Hello

Typically 'pink eye' or conjunctivitis is treated with antibiotics eye drops if the cause is bacterial....however, if the cause is viral, nothing will help. 10 days is a common time frame for viral pink eye to run it's course. Azithromycin is typically not used for pink eye.

********************

If my answer has provided you with some good insight today, please click "Accept" and I will received proper credit for my time and effort, otherwise, JustAnswer.com will hold your deposit. Before leaving feedback, please let me know if you need clarification or more info.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

I will accept and get you paid but I thought I should ask another question or 2. I wasn't sure if once I accepted - then I might be cut off?

Do you know if any over the counter solutions exist for pink eye? (I've just been spraying Saline Solution in today.)

Is there any way to know if it's viral vs. bacterial (without going to a Dr. - it's Saturday)?

Thank you!

Unfortunately there is nothing ovet the counter that you can use for pink eye that will be effective. If your eye is matted up, you can use some warm compresses to help with the crusting. Most cases of pink eye are viral and even bacterial pink eye clears up on it's own within 7-10 days. If your eye does not improve within this time frame or worsens, you will need to be seen by your Dr for a prescription eye drop. Saline solution if fine to keep the eye cool and rinsed out, but make sure you do not touch the tip of the bottle to your eye as it can contaminate the whole bottle. Make sure you keep your hands washed after touching your eye to prevent the spread also.

Thanks for the accept. Glad to help!

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/tc/pinkeye-topic-overview

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you Nurse Milli!

Seems like solid advice all the way around.

Regards,

Ken

Your very welcome! Hope you feel better soon!