Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

my doctor says I have a virus, blocked ears,stuffy nose

Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomerand welcome back to

What is your question today....what can I help you with?

I'll look for your reply

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my doctor says I have a virus stuffy nose, plugged ears swollen
neck glands and swollen adenoids,post nasal drip I have had it for
about a month now, he says that it just has to take its time to go
and I cannot take anything for it,also I was told that a virus can
migrate to your heart and cause problems ,how long could this last
and is it possible that it is allergies I have never had allergies
in the past thank you

Hello and thanks for the reply

Are you experiencing any fever with your other symptoms? Any cough?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no fever slight tickle in the throat occasionally but no real cough

Thank your for all the additional information.

I have a few more questions for you before I give you my answer.

• Have you had any blood work that verified that it was viral and not bacterial?
  • I noticed you said you could not take anything for your symptoms, can you not take any antihistimines or decongestants? What is the underlying health condition?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no blood work done
I am taking st johns wort for anxiety and the doc said I could not
take decongestants or antihistamines with this
thank you

Ok, I see. First, I would recommend that since you have had these symptoms for about a month, that you have a simple CBC test done (this will give the Dr the information they need to determine if what you have is indeed bacterial or viral). It will show things like your white blood count and Lymphocytes....which can determine what is really going on. If you chose not to go that route, I would say you might have allergies because of your list of symptoms. However, the swollen glands would be a little concerning, as this could indicate a nearby infection. The post nasal drip does sound like allergies of some sort...most likely due to the time of the year (if you are experiencing any tree or grass blooming in your area yet). To treat symptoms such as yours, you can use a warm, wet washcloth on your neck several times a day to help with the swollen areas and any soreness you might be experiencing. For the stuffy nose, you can do a nasal irrigation if you are comfortable with doing it. It cleanses the sinuses and will help alleviate post nasal drip, but do not do it before you lie down. I will give you the directions...

First , you will need to make the solution:

• 1/2 teaspoon of non-iodized salt (e.g. kosher, canning, pickling, or sea salt)
  • 8 ounces filtered room temperature water
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda

Then you will mix the ingredients in a clean container. Stand over the bathroom sink. If using a bulb syringe, tilt your head down and place the syringe into one nostril. Give it a gentle squeeze so that the water comes out the other nostril.

There may be some mucus in the water that comes out. It is usually done until there is no more mucous in the water. Repeat the other nostril.

You can do this several times per day, but do not do it before you lie down because the residual will drain down the back of your throat and will cause a cough or tickle in your throat.

There are also commercially prepared kits that you can purchase at your local pharmacy. They are priced anywhere from $8.00-$13.00.

If you feel any pain or a gagging sensation, you are most likely doing the procedure too aggressive.

Hope this helps!

If my answer has provided you with some good insight today, please click "Accept" and I will received proper credit for my time and effort, otherwise, will hold your deposit. Before leaving feedback, please let me know if you need clarification or more info.