Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

passing of bile in stool - for weeks now.

Were any investigations done for your symptoms? Do you have nausea, bloating, diarrhea, loss of appetite?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No I have not had any investigations done for my recent symptoms. Right after the flu it felt like I had an ulser? Stomach pain when hungry with gas most of the time. That lasted for few weeks and then the symptoms changed. Symptoms are not constant - some times I have pain but not for long - the gas seems to explain that. Gallbladder was removed in 1980, the spinctotomy done in 1995 - I had a colonoscopy in 2003 that was clean - those are the only investigations I have had - each with satisfactory results. proceedure...

The bile in stool suggest that your intestinal movements are faster than the normal. Thus the bile is in contact with the intestinal lining for far lesser time and thus passed up undigested. Please read this resource;

You need an investigation called as colonic transit time which can measure the intestinal motility. This will explain the reason. The common reason can be;

1) Large bowel infections

2) Irritable bowel syndrome

3) Diverticulitis

A stool culture would be helpful to look for the infective organisms. Meanwhile avoidance of following would be helpful for gas;

a) Cabbage

b) Beer

c) Legumes

d) Cheese

e) Beans

This may help you;

a) bismuth subsalicylate

b) activated charcoal

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This makes perfect sense - I will do as you suggest - the article from Mayo is helpful as well. But if things change for the worse will seek the local physician who did my colonoscopy - one of few in our community. The reason I resist going to be diagnosed in the beginning of symptoms is this - I was at the doctor or hospital frequently when my gallbladder was making stones, pain, vomiting etc...this was not obvious to medical experts due to the fact the stones were like large grains of sand and not easy to x-ray...when the pain became unbearable - and unconsciousness came - an exploriatory was done and found the gallbladder had preforated...I spent a lot of money unnecessarily seeking a diagnosis that could not be seen with test back in 1980 - the scan done on my gallbladder at surgery was one of the first in that hospital - timing is everything!.

I agree with you that timing is everything.

If the symptoms persist, as you mentioned, calling the gastroenterologist for an appointment would be prudent.

Good luck.

Kindest regards.

Dr. Arun