Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

car accident and a sort of a lump was formed on my left arm

I had a car accident and a sort of a lump was formed on my left arm. The x-ray showed no fracture, but after 45 days it still hurts and burns inside though it is now not apparent.

Are your elbow and shoulder movements painful? Is the point where lump was situated is tender (pain when you press on the point)?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No I can move elbow and shoulder ok, but the shoulder did hurt at first right after the accident for 3 weeks or so. The point where the lump was is tender but not all the time, and it feels more like an internal burning pain, as if the flesh were stretching but was cut. This is the best way i can explain it. Thank you for your help.

Following are the possibilities;

A) This can be trigger point. The myofascial trigger points are formed in this area which on specific position become painful. These can occur due to an acute injury or by chronic strains. A myofascial trigger point is a hyperirritable point in skeletal muscle that is associated with a hypersensitive palpable nodule. Trigger points may develop after an initial injury to muscle fibers. This injury may include a noticeable traumatic event or repetitive microtrauma to the muscles. The trigger point causes pain and stress in the muscle or muscle fiber. Following treatment are advocated;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant to be the "single most effective treatment" for trigger point pain.

2) Physical therapy

3) Transcutaneous electrical stimulation (TENS)

4) Therapeutic Ultrasound; Iontophoresis, phonophoresis

5) Massage

6) Steroid shots at the point

B) A scar tissue in the subcutaneous or muscle tissues; with the injury there is a rupture of these tissues and healing forms scar tissue. As any scar tissue, the have less blood supply than the surrounding tissue and less elasticity also. So they remain tender and painful for almost a year, from the injury. Treatment is same as above.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun