Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

what does an NE value mean in your blood test, CBC Mine NE#

what does an NE value mean in your blood test, CBC? Mine NE# XXXXX XXXXX High normal 4.2

Ne is neutraphils. These are a type of white cell commonly increased in infection, although they can rise in other cases too. A value of 9.7 would suggest that there is infection or inflammation somewhere in the body.

How is the rest of your health?

Any fever?

Have you had any other investigations?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, I have RA, and take Methotrexate, Remicade and prednisone. I guess it might be high inflammation, as I have been moving and getting a few flares. A low grade fever is present and my WBC is 12.5, but no UTI was found during the urinalysis. My family has a HUGE history of LUPUS, my sister dying of it at 17, along with several uncles, and an aunt, so I always wanna know, especially when something is doubled in it's normal values. Thanks!

Thanks for accepting. The RA is the most likely cause although long term steroid use will also raise neutrophil count, and in that case it just needs to be monitored for any trends.

As there is no UTI, then you may wish to request a chest x ray to exclude possible chest infection as a cause of the low grade fever and raised white cells.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Pauline. You were very helpful. I will be back and also suggest this site! :)