Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

My 8 year old son has just been dianosed with pneumonia in

My 8 year old son has just been dianosed with pneumonia in his left lung (x-ray). He has had a fever for 11 days and is now on his third antibiotic (Amoxicillin,Azithromycin and now Augmentin) the Augmentin just got started. His doctor is now saying that he will need to be hopitalized if his fever continues. He has had a dry cough that is now starting to sound more"slimy". 2-3 other boys he plays with have also has pneumonia recently. I wonder how to figure out if it is bacterial or viral.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thanks for the question

The best way to figure out which he has is by blood work. He should have had a CBC done (complete blood count) and in this, his white blood cell count will be included. Depending on the count, will help determine if it is viral or bacterial. With viral, the white blood count will be low, with bacterial, it will be high. Some other components of the CBC will be 'off' as well.

He might have a resistant Pneumonia, and in that case, IV antibiotics and hospitalization will be necessary.

Hope this helps!

If my answer has provided you with some good insight today, please click "Accept" and I will received proper credit for my time and effort, otherwise, will hold your deposit. Before leaving feedback, please let me know if you need clarification or more info.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

How long does it take to get the results from a cbc?

If the Clinic you went to has their own lab, the results can be back in less than 5 minutes. Most clinics will have this in house.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX question. If there is phlem to analyze and culture, how long does a culture take in order to either identify the bacteria or a virus?
A culture will take 2-3 days for the results to come back. The phelgm needs to be the phelgm he coughs up first thing in the morning to be most accurate. The culture will need time to grow out and then the sensitivity component has to be done to see which antibiotics the bacteria is sensitive to.