Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

My upper back, around my bra strap area hurts really bad when

Customer Question

My upper back, around my bra strap area hurts really bad when I cough or laugh. It's a constant pain, but is felt much worse with movement of anykind. I've also had severe pain in my chest, between my rib cage (maybe a little higher) and this pain prevented me from breathing normal. I felt like I couldn't breath (like when you're out of breath. This pain was felt before the back pain started. Also, I feel numbness/tingling in one or both of my arms all the way to my fingers. My doctor is not in. Please help,.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.
When did this pain started?

Any recent illness or infection?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No illnesses or infection. Pain in my chest started about a week ago. I've been experiencing pain in my back for a few weeks but never like this. The pain is different. This pain started yesterday. I also have pain on the right side of my neck. Maybe 2 or 3 fingers down from my ear and over to the front of my neck. Pain is tender to the touch.
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.
Your symptoms indicate a nerve pain or neuropathy. This can be due to viral infection, pinched nerves, vitamin B deficiency, hormonal imbalance etc. Another possible cause is Costochondritis or inflammation of the cartilage and ribs. You should see your doctor for these symptoms as soon as possible for evaluation. Also an EKG should be performed to rule out heart disease. For now you should take a daily multivitamin supplement and you can take Ibuprofen for the pain.
Regards.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Could this cause the pain in my chest as well? I am a smoker and have been for about 15 years. Can I rule out any problems relating to my lungs?
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.
As far as lungs are concerned, Pleuritis is a possible cause. A blood clot in the lungs should also be ruled out in the initial evaluation. So we can not rule out lung problems at this stage. SO you should see a doctor for this asap.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One more question/symptom - my right hand is cold,cold and my arm feels numb/heavy like no circulation. My left arm feels ok and my hand is warm. Could this also be related to the nerves? Also my hands shake constantly and I sometimes feel light headed when I stand up?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One more question/symptom - my right hand is cold,cold and my arm feels numb/heavy like no circulation. My left arm feels ok and my hand is warm. Could this also be related to the nerves? Also my hands shake constantly and I sometimes feel light headed while I walk around.
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.
Your arm symptoms are most likely due to neuropathy rather than anything else. Dizziness is related to this. A thyroid problem should be evaluated as well. A blood clot is not very likely, but should be considered in the differential diagnosis.