A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

my left foot and toes are numb feeling. Top of left foot

Customer Question

my left foot and toes are numb feeling. Top of left foot is sore when i press done medium hard. I need a proper diagnosis
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. How long have you had this? What other medications do you take? Are you diabetic?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well no so far im not a diabetic. top of left foot been senstive for a couple of months now.foot feels tingling and toes kind of numb.. Nurse said to soak it couple times a day .

Gabapentin is typically prescribed for nerve problems in the foot. Tingling and numbness are the typical symptoms. The condition is called peripheral neuropathy, which can be a complication of diabetes, but many people who have never had a problem with blood sugar develop peripheral neuropathy. It can take several weeks to see if it is going to help though. Soaking in hot water may indeed help some with the symptoms. If there is swelling, a little Epsom salts in the water will help.

In addition to diabetes, peripheral neuropathy can be from lack of B vitamins, trauma (repetitive motion, pressure, sitting in the same position), alcoholism, kidney or liver problems, hypothyroidism, rheumatoid arthritis, tumors that are pressing on the area, and a number of other things. Sometimes a cause is not found.

If gabapentin (Neurontin) doesn't work for you, one of the other anti-seizure medications might (Topamax, Lyrica, tegretol, Dilantin). My favorite pain reliever is teh lidocaine patch since it delivers pain relief at exactly the location you want it without systemic side effects. It can cause a rash if used too often. You can use your favorite over-the-counter pain reliever as well. Amitriptyline and nortriptyline also interrupt pain receptors in the brain, as does duloxetine.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The reading ive been doing on internet is my thought it might be periperal neuropathy.
I would think a nerologist with certain tests could better tell , Wouldnt you agree.? I dont just want to keep guessing on symtoms. I would like soon a confirmed diagnosis .You gave a great answer and i appreciated it very much.

You're right. A neurologist would definitely be the one to confrim the diagnosis. That is what your primary provider suspects and is treating you for, and it's what I think you have as well, based on your symptoms. A neurologist will provide the peace of mind of knowing what you have.