Dr. Ryan
Dr. Ryan, Doctor
Experience:  Bachelor in Nursing, 3+ years nursing experience, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
11446854

how can i tell if i got worms from my dog and how do i get

Customer Question

how can i tell if i got worms from my dog and how do i get rid of them without going to a doctor
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Ryan replied 7 years ago.

Hello, and sorry to hear about your concerns.

My first question would be why you think that you may have contracted worms from your dog, or what symptoms have you been having? However, this being said, unfortunately the answer remains the same in that the diagnosis would require a stool sample being analyzed for ova (aka eggs) and parasites. Then if need be, you could be treated with an antiparasitic medication that would kill whatever it is you may have.

So I'm sorry, but if you live in the US I'm not aware of a way to buy these medications without a prescription.

Best of luck, and if you have further questions let me know...

Please ask if you need clarification/more information.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are greatly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor, and does not establish a patient-physician relationship

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I just discovered that my puppy has worms and I'm feeling strange tickling sensations in my rectum. I don't have medical insurance and doctor visits are very expensive. I was hoping that there might be a homeopathic remedy that won't break the bank.

If I have worms will they show in my feces? They didn't show in hers until I gave her de-wormer.

Expert:  Dr. Ryan replied 7 years ago.

Hello again, I'll answer your second question first. The actual worms don't show up in the feces, but the eggs or larvae do. The reason they showed up in your pets feces were that they were killed by the medications, and flushed out.

I'm not aware of a homeopathic remedy, but what I would do is find out from the vet what kind of worms your pet had. If they are heartworms, it would be very, very, rare for a human to become infected with them. So that may be a good place to start, and your vet may be able to tell you if you are at risk of being infected with the worms as well. I hope this helps, best of luck...