Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

I have dull pain in my left arm between the shoulder and elbow.

Customer Question

I have dull pain in my left arm between the shoulder and elbow. It is extremely painful (a 10 on a scale of 1-10) if I use my left hand to try to wash the right side of my body-the ribs, or under my arm. It is also painful if I try to put my left arm behind my head as in trying to throw a baseball. If I dont move it to those positions it is just a dull pain. The dull pain becomes worse in bed when trying sleep.

I can raise my arm straight up over my head and do push ups with no pain. I do not have any weakness in my hands and do not feel any tingling, just severe pain when I put my arm in the 2 positions described above. The pain is always between my elbow and shoulder.

It began about a month ago when I felt discomfort in the inside of my left wrist and a few days later it began in my upper arm. I sit at a computer about 5-6 hours/day and I am left handed so I thought it was to much movement of the mouse so I switched to using the mouse with my right hand several weeks ago but it h
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.

Greetings,

Any other symptom? Any past illness? Any test / investigation?

Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I see part of my question was cut off, the rest was:
I sit at a computer about 5-6 hours/day and I am left handed so I thought it was too much movement of the mouse so I switched to using the mouse with my right hand several weeks ago but it has not helped and now I am beginning to feel a dull pain in my right arm in the same place as my left, half way between my shoulder and elbow on the outside of my arm, but I do not have any loss of movement in my right arm. Anti inflamatories have had no affect.

No tests, no past illnesses, have been very healthy, no other symptoms but stiffness in neck/upper back muscle at times, which I exercise daily by light stretching and it helps. 2 yrs ago had pinched nerve in lower back, sciatica, that lasted about 6 months was relieved by stretching exercises, inversion table and time. When I try to move my left arm as described above the pain is intense and runs from shoulder to elbow but most intense half way between.
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

The symptoms of pain in the shoulder along with the history of neck pain and sciatica sounds like a frozen shoulder or adhesive capsulitis. In the early stage there may be pain with less restriction of movement. If the pain is severe, you can use antiinflammatory drug like motrin, Ice or heat therapy. You have to do exercise or physical therapy under professional guidance. Sometimes ultrasound, electric stimulation, intra articular steroid injection are needed. The other conditions which occur here are rotator cuff injury or any injury to tendon or arthritis.You need an examination by an orthopedic to determine the cause & start treatment.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your early recovery.
Any query, please ask.
Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I dont know if this is relevant, but when I exercise I do shoulder rolls with no discomfort.

Can you suggest any appropriate exercises to help?

Also, when I move my arm into the positions that cause pain, should I continue to move it in that direction for exercise or would it be better to not put it in that position at all and allow it to rest?

I have my own ultrasound equipment, where would you suggest I apply it?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
In the acute stage you can do movement but should not overstrech it. For a complete guide please read this resource.

http://frozen-shoulder-exercises.com/index.html