Dr.Tiwari
Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience:  M.D.
8775652

What is causing my left thumb and middle finger joint to pop

Customer Question

What is causing my left thumb and middle finger joint to pop out. It is worse after sleeping all night. When I bend them, the joint moves sideways.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 5 years ago.
Will you please reply some questions-
1.Are you feeling any pain or swelling in the joints of fingers?
2.Which joint is affected?
3.Is there any history of trauma?
Please reply.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is no swelling but it hurts a little bit from popping back and forth, not very much. It is the joint closest to my wrist on my thumb and on my middle finger. I can't think of any trauma to my hand. The joint actually moves a little sideways then back.
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 5 years ago.
By looking at your description it looks that you may be having arthritis of the first metacarpocarpal joint.You should do following to have relief -
1.Apply a local analgesic ointment three times a day.
2.Do warm water fomentation over it for three times a day.
3.Take a mild analgesic with anti inflammatory drug like advil.
4.Start taking cartilage modifying drugs like glucosamine,chondroitin & diacerin.
5.Avoid strenuous activities with your thumb.
6.Ypu may have splint or a soft crepe bandage over your joint & thumb.
Hope this will be helpful.
Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have never heard of arthritis causing popping of joints in and out. There is pain but only from the popping in and out. Everytime I bend my thumb it is popping out of joint.

Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 5 years ago.
The popping may be associated due to your ligament laxity of joint due to age & you do hurt due to occuring changes in your cartilage.You may confirm by having x ray of your joint.
    Popping is associated with arthritis as in arthritis there is feature which is bone overgrowth which leads to shift the joints more nearer & thus causing apparent lengthening of the ligaments & thus popping.
Hope this will help you.
Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience: M.D.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
With arthritis, there is usually stiffness, quite a lot of pain, etc. I have none of that. And is this going to pop out the rest of my life?
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 5 years ago.
In early stages of the arthritis pain & swelling are the first usual symptoms & at the first metacarpocarpal joint you may not easily differentiate swelling.
    Popping will not be there if you take proper drugs & precaution.
Hope this will help you.
Regards