Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

Hi! Im 60 years old,overweight by 60 pounds, a retired teacher,

Hi! I'm 60 years old,overweight by 60 pounds, a retired teacher, divorced after 32 years, 2 grown children, andhad to retire early because of having spasmodic dysphonia. I have been living with this condition for 10 years, taking various medications but none were effective, and getting botox injections about every 2 to 3 months. Recently I've had surgery which left me with the use of only 1 vocal chord. I no longer close up due to airborne scents. I take 5 medications daily---Welbutrin, Lexapor, Nexium, Sanctura, and Meloxocam. I see a psychologist once a month, and have done so for several years. My question is which diet would be the healthiest and most effective for me ? Is it Nutrisystem, Acai, or Medifast. I've tried Weight Watchers I didn't care too much for the meetings, and I was teaching so I couldn't always make them. Also, the costs involved are important for me. I do belong to a gym, but I'll be starting back next week. I would appreciate your advice. Lorraine
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

I understand that you have tried several types of diets and still do not have satisfactory results. If your main goal is weight loss, than the focus should be to consume less calories and do more exercise.

A recent study published in a reputable journal showed that commercially marketed or branded diets are similarly effective, with no single program better than the other. This is because any results that are produced are due to low calorie intake, rather than any special ingredient present in these branded diets.

So the main goal should be to limit calorie intake and not expect anything special from expensive diets. Fiber rich foods like fruits, vegetables, salads, soups etc are good for weight loss because these add bulk to the food, alleviate hunger and are low in calories. An exercise program involving long walks, jogging, lifting light weights etc should also help.

Here is the link to the study:

<br />
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello! I'm willing and ready to pay the fee for the advice, but my card nimber has changed. I don't see any other option for me to type in another number. Please advice. Lorraine
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.
I will alert the customer service, and they will inform you of the procedure.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dr. Singh thank you for your time and consideration. I find it very confusing to finalize on any one way to loose weight and be healthier, especially while taking various medications. You have simplified and given me answers in a short form and one which I understand. Thank you again for your professional opinion. This is the second time I have utilized this web site and I will not hesitate to return for the answers to future questions.