A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

back..hands..going to pass out I had my blood sugar checked it was 82

Customer Question

last thursday I had about four glasses of wine and stayed up late I got up early and was getting dressed when I bent over and put on my shoes and stood back up I felt really bad I thought it was from the wine, but then my vision went out completley first the left eye then the right eye I could see nothing not even light I had my husband help me lie down and get me a glass of coke I am hypo glycemic after lying down and then drinking the coke I could see okay I felt really bad but still managed my day then today at work I got that same bad feeling I got really dizzy and shakie I felt winded my hands got cold immediatly I had to sit down I thought I was going to pass out I had my blood sugar checked it was 82 and my blood preassure was 114over 62 I take zoloft daily 50 mg and about three days ago I lowered my dose to 25 mg what could this be? I am 46yrs ole ll4 lbs 5 foot 1 inches tall
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. You will need a check up with your doctor of course, but best guess would be a combination of your hypoglycemia, withdrawal symptoms from the Zoloft, and perhaps a little hypotension when changing positions. The first time it having too much to drink was also part of the mix. Usually hypoglycemics cannot handle much alcohol or carbohydrates at a time. Several small meals that combine protein with a high fiber carbohydrate are usually what is best tolerated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
losing vision completly is that normal body reaction with hypotension?

No, the vision problem could have been from a migraine, or even from anxiety over the whole situation. Your doctor really needs to give you a thorough checkup to make sure there is nothing more wrong.