Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.

Last night, I needed to go to the E.R because of severe abdominal

Last night, I needed to go to the E.R because of severe abdominal pain. An X-ray showed that the very end of my colon is completely congested with stool. The Dr prescribed Magnesium Citrate to flush it out. The instructions say "don't take with food" but I've waited 7 hours and haven't eaten all day. I'm seeing 0 results from the MC, and I'm really hungry. Do you think it would be safe to eat a meal without it blocking me up more? or should I wait until the MC starts working?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.

First of all, if oral medications like mag citrate and lactulose is not effective, it is time to use rectal medications like fleets enema and glycerin suppositories. If regular fleets doesn't work, try glycerin enema which is usually effective,

Secondly, you can eat. Food consumption actually triggers the intestines to move. The reason mag citrate should not be taken with food is because food can potentially neutralize the effects of the medication. If you have already taken the mag citrate, you can eat.

I hope this is useful.