A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Now the rash is on is back, front, under armes, butt, legs

My son who is 15 came down with a rash about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Now the rash is on is back, front, under armes, butt, legs. The old rash is now dried up blisters. He is in a lot of pain. The blisters look infected. The skin on his butt is hard, scaley now that's where the pain is the worse. The ER doctor put him on meds for the infection and meds for the itching and pain meds. The ER doctor said it should clear up in two weeks and sent us home,but we are going into week three and it's only getting worse. This doctor did no blood work or any test at all. I feel like he missed something.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Since this isn't getting better, your son needs to see a doctor for a second opinion. A family doctor would be the one to see, since the emergency room is mainly for stabilizing patients with serious illnesses. They docs there are not as familiar with treating skin infections and rashes. He probably needs another antibiotic if the skin infection hasn't cleared, but the comments about blisters make me wonder if this was a viral illness to begin with that caused the rash, and a bacterial infection occurred afterward in the scratched lesions. In any event, he needs to see another doctor.