Dr.Tiwari
Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience:  M.D.
8775652

tear..right knee..all the way down the shin to the ankle

Customer Question

Hello, I'm 52yrs old 5"10 and weigh 210 lbs. I had what was described as a "huge" meniscus cartiledge tear repaired on my right knee November 4th-08. Following the surgery there was a lot of bruising and mild swelling all the way down the shin to the ankle. The worst was on the inside of the leg near the knee. Pre surgery I was told to expect my recovery to take a few days. Instead, upon the 72 hr follow up I was told I had a bone adema (that they had missed in the MRI) and was given crutches and fitted for a brace. It was two months before I could take off the brace and walk reasonbly comfortably. I'm told I have "moderate" arthritis now. Did my doctor underestimate something? Since the surgery I've had the knee drained twice and it keeps swelling back up. A little less each time but still the swelling and fluid retention returns and causes tightness, pain and discomfort in certain positions. I can't lay flat when I sleep for example. Mobility is limited. In some ways I'm better but I seem to have a new set of problems. Is this swelling my new norm? I asked that at the last draining but really got a vauge response. Should I continue to have it drained periodicaly? Is there a risk in not having it drained? I've since lost my insurance and am trying to get answers without the expense of the office visit.Thank you so much!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer
      By reading all about you it looks that you have developed post traumatic arthritis which is a known complication with the meniscal injury.
   Effusion is a common accompaniment with the arthritis knee as nature itself works to prevent its organs from further trauma.You need not to withdraw the fluid from the knee again & again until unless it is big enough to bother you from pain or it is disturbing with your normal functioning.
   You may do following to have treatment-
1.If you are overweight then the first priority is to decrease your weight.As increase weight will put more load on your knee.
2.Avoid strenuous activities & sitting cross legged,frequent staring up or down.
3.Start doing quadriceps exercises of the knee which will strengthen your muscles surrounding the knee & put load away from the knee.
4.You may have drugs which will help in preventing & progressing arthritic changes at the knee like glucosamine,chondroitin & diacerin.
5.You may ask to your doctor about viscosupplementatin by injection which will give normal compressibility to the knee cartilage.
Hope this will help you.
Regards.
Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience: M.D.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Excellent answer. Very helpful.
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 5 years ago.
Thanks.