A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I am diabetic and tend to get a body order. Most time smells

I am diabetic and tend to get a body order. Most time smells like fruity and sweet. Somethimes is locker room smell.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. What do you take for your diabetes? How often do you check blood glucose?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I take Glipizide/metformin I check once daily in morning
A fruity, sweet odor in a diabetic usually means ketoacidosis. In this case the body is using fats for energy instead of carbohydrates. The body is unable to remove all the ketones from the blood and they can spill over to the urine, and also cause a fruity odor to the body and the breath. It would be useful to know your glucose level when you smell this odor. Ketoacidosis is an emergency and you should seek medical treatment when this occurs. The gym locker smell is probably just regular body odor that everyone can get at times, particularly with exercise.