Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

My MCV 106 and MCH 36, I have a history of anemia, do I need

My MCV = 106 and MCH=36, I have a history of anemia, do I need to take supplelments? What kind?

Do you drink alcohol?

What type of anemia did you have before?

What medication do you take?

What is your hemoglobin (Hb) and red cell count (RBC)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I did until this Sunday, 2 or 3 scotch and sodas per day for the last 6 mos, prior 2-3 light beers a day for the last 17 yrs

I take allopurinol 300mg daily and prozac weekly

Hb = 15.7, RBC=4.27

Your hemoglobin and red cell count indicate that you are not anemic at the moment. The size of your cells is large which may be explained by your alcohol intake. Sustained alcohol use can cause 'macrocytosis' or large cells. If your hemoglobin had been low then we might have considered vitamin B12 or folic acid. However at the moment I would suggest that you have a good healthy diet with plenty of fruit and vegetable. Perhaps an over the counter multivitamin with B complex, but no need just yet to have major supplements unless your doctor has additional tests that suggest otherwise. You will need to follow this up, and see what changes occur with time.

I would advise that you stay off the alcohol if at all possible.