Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

I just quit smoking, should my Zoloft dose be adjusted

I just quit smoking, should my Zoloft dose be adjusted?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

ell done on quitting smoking. There is not a direct interaction with nicotine and Zoloft so no need to adjust the dose based on nicotine alone.

However it is a big thing to quit, and people often notice the absence of cigarettes as a prop and social activity as well as the nicotine content. Do ensure that you are replacing the 'habit' with something else to do with your hands. You may wish to consider nicotine gum or patches if you are struggling with cravings.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I quit but using the 3 step down patch so I weaned very slowly - the reason for the question is that the patch booklet instructions said that anti-depressent medication may need to be adjusted while on the patch - does that usually mean adjusted up or down?

Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.
It depends on the individual drug, Zoloft metabolism and nicotine metabolism do not use the same pathways. Some drugs are metabolised by pathways that are affected by nicotine (both up and down) but zoloft is not one of them.