Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

bowel cancer age 47, a father who passed away with bowel cancer age 63

I have a grandmother who passed away with bowel cancer age 47, a father who passed away with bowel cancer age 63. We were told buy the consultant at the time my fathers bowel cancer could be heredity to us, he was not related to the previous mentioned grandmother. I was 32 at the time the consultant suggested my brother and I had regular check ups. I am now 41 but time passes quickly and I was unsure feeling young what age I should start this. I now have intermittent periods of soreness in the gut region not too bad just uncomfortable sometimes.I have no other symptons my movements are always loose in the mornings I think due to a diet of lots of salad and veg no other movements later on in the day.Do you think I should feel concerned and get a check done sooner or later.I do know that I need to do the camera thing but should I worry immediately.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

With your family history then a colonoscopy at age 40 is a good idea. If everything appears normal then you will not need any additional screening until age 50, however if there are any polyps present then these can be sampled and analyzed. Depending on this finding then you may have more regular follow up.

Aside from bowel cancers, your doctor may also ask about family history of breast and ovarian cancer as there is a potential link with one genetic syndrome.

Did anyone ever do any testing or give you any names of any conditions that your father might have had?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No other testing was done my brother who is older age 46 has had a colonoscopy done 2 years ago no problem. I have to say I hit the wrong button I am female does that have any bearing on the matter? My grandmother on my fathers side had breast cancer but recovered.My auntie on my mothers side has recently had breast cancer age 62 but all fine. Any other advice?
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

When it comes to colorectal cancer then gender is not important. We get concerned when people have early breast cancer (before age 40) or ovarian cancer as there is a link to Lynch Syndrome however if the breast cancer was late onset then that is less likely to be linked.

It is good that your brother had no problems as what we are worried about is a condition called Familial Adenomatous Polyposis which causes hundreds of polyps and is associated with high risk of cancer. I would still suggest that you have a colonoscopy in the coming months as that would give you a baseline to know that everything was clear.