Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

health 57 year old male and I have suddenly lost my sense of taste

I am a health 57 year old male and I have suddenly lost my sense of taste. This happened about 4 days ago. Anything I eat suddenly has the same unpleasant taste. The taste is hard to describe. It is something like black licorice. Any ideas what might cause this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

Hello, has anything changed recently?

Any new medication?

Have you had a head cold?

What about your sense of smell, is that still the same?

Any problems with dry mouth?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am not taking any meds, so no changes there. My sense of smell still seems OK. No head cold or sinus congestion, and no dry mouth.. I do have a headache that just started last night and is still hanging on today, but I have not taken anything for that either. I have never experienced anything quite like this. It is disturbing that everything tastes the same, even foods that normally have strong flavors like an orange.
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

In the absence of any medication, or physical changes to the taste buds or sense of smell, then we can eliminate most common causes of abnormal taste. You may also want to check for any missing fillings or possible dental infection that may be affecting your taste.

However as you mention a headache then there is a possibility that this is a 'neurological deficit'. It may be migraine related, or it may be something completely different however this warrants a visit to your doctor for a neurological assessment.

If you have any fever, any visual disturbance, or the pain is severe when lying down then go to ER