A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

My mothers doctor has order an MRI for Cranial Nerve #10 palsy..knee

My mother's doctor has order an MRI for Cranial Nerve #10 palsy. She is supposed to have a knee replacement next week. She is 85 1/2 with lots of other health problems, but all of those hurdles have been done. What is Cranial Nerve #10 palsy?    Susan Herman email:[email protected]
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Cranial Nerve X is the vagus nerve which supplies the motor innervation to the laryngeal and pharyngeal muscles, and has parasympathetic fibers to the thoracic and abdominal viscera down to the splenic flexure of the colon. It also receives taste from the epiglottis. One function of the nerve is to control muscles for voice and resonance and the soft palate. Symptoms can occur due to damage anywhere along the nerve, but the most common symptoms of vagus nerve palsy are hoarseness and difficulty swallowing, perhaps with regurgitation of stomach contents.