MasterDoc
MasterDoc, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Physician for 20 years
3119816

I think I have a pinched nerve in my leg. I have severe pain

I think I have a pinched nerve in my leg. I have severe pain on the outside and the back of the knee. It goes down the back of my leg and sometimes to my foot. I've been to the family doctor,my arthritis Dr. and a chiropractor, only to get relief for a short period of time. My family Dr. put me on neurontin 2x daily, and it isn't helping.the pain is so badI can hardly put any weight on my right leg.
Category: Health
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 5 years ago.
How long have you been taking the neurontin for?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
For 3 days
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 5 years ago.

Neurontin is a VERY effective medication for chronic pain in some patients. I would view it as an excellent drug to try in your case. HOWEVER, what your MD apparently neglected to mention is that it can take weeks (or even months) before it starts to work. It needs to totally build up in your system before it even begins to work.

Be patient before you give up on it; it may be just what you need to get relief.

Please click ACCEPT>

Feel free to ask a follow-up question.

ANd a BONUS is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I understand, but what is the treatment or cure for a pinched nerve? I don't want to be on extra pain medication for any longer than I have to. I'm already on alot because of my rheumatoid arthritis.
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 5 years ago.

The treatment for a pinched nerve depends on where the nerve is pinched. If, as is likely in your case, the nerve is piched on the way out of the spine, there is no special treatment other than pain relief. Surgery is a last resort.

Please click ACCEPT.

ANd a BONUS is always appreciated.

MasterDoc, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Physician for 20 years