Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States

just had blood work done. Most markers look very good. Cholesterol

Customer Question

just had blood work done. Most markers look very good. Cholesterol (total) - 173. HDL - 75, LDL - 88. Triglycerides - 49 (is this too low for optimum health?) Glucose 80. However, total iron - 15, % saturation - 4, iron binding capacity - 392, ferritin - 5. Also TSH - 0.82. I know my iron is very low. Ways to increase iron? I don't understand the high iron binding cap. compared to my low iron levels. And with my TSH being low-normal should I do anything to raise it? I am 50 yrs. old, female. No typical symptoms of any fatigue whatsoever.
Category: Health
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

The most common cause for low iron levels is a slow leakage from somewhere in the gastro intestinal tract. If you have not been checked already your stool should be checked for blood and you should undergo upper and lower endoscopy to find source of blood loss. You can increase your iron by taking iron supplements but it is more important to find out the cause . If you are feeling well and your TSH is normal do not do anything about that.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.   It