Anna
Anna, Consultant
Experience:  Biology Degree
6012901

could inhaling the rabbit urine and feces cause health problems.

could inhaling the rabbit urine and feces cause health problems. my daughter has two rabbits in her bedroom and I'm concerned that the odor could cause her health issues.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.

While the risk of disease being transmitted by domestic rabbits is small, it does exist. You may want to consider moving the rabbits to a room where your daughter spends less time.

Leptospirosis is a disease which rabbits can carry without becoming ill themselves. It is transmitted by direct contact with urine, or less commonly, by inhaling urine. This would be a risk, frankly a small one, of sleeping in a room with rabbits. There are a few other illnesses that rabbits can transmit. You can read more about them by scrolling down to the section on rabbits on this page:

http://www.gmu.edu/facstaff/policy/newpolicy/4004ap5.html

Rabbit feces can be a source of parasites, but they have to be ingested. If your daughter is young, and doesn't wash her hands after playing with the rabbits, there could be some risk of this.

However, the biggest health risk posed by sleeping in the same room with rabbits isn't an infectious disease. It has been found that lab workers who spend many hours each day with rabbits are much more likely to develop asthma. The same thing may be true of children. Constant exposure to rabbit dander is believed to be responsible.

Rabbits can be housed safely outdoors in most climates if proper precautions are taken. You could also move them to a family room, or another room where your daughter spends less time. If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna