Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

water gain

Customer Question

He has so much edma in his legs, water is coming from his pores to releave the presser now.
He keeps them up, but feet are so bad, he cant put shoes on, or pants wont fit around his waste,
His diet is good, but hes body is not responding. Hes in heart failer, we know, but shouldnt his heart doctor do something about the swelling other then pills that are not working?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 7 years ago.
What is his age?

How long has he had the swelling?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hes 63, this has been going on for about 2 1/2 weeks,
The main cause of such leg swelling in his case is lack of exercise of the calf muscles. So the main solution is also exercise of the calf muscles.

This is what is most important for him to get the swelling down.

Although he has heart failure and you say he is sedentary, I assume that he is not completely bed ridden. Hence you must get him to walk about. Several sessions of a few minutes of walking every day will get the leg swelling down, this is by far the best way to reduce the swelling.

You should of course continue with the TED hose and Lasix, these are also important medications.

Besides the exercise, the other thing that I would recommend is to check for his posture. Often leg swelling gets aggravated due to the choice of recliners. It is most important to avoid recliners and armchairs where there is pressure on the calves. It is always better to lie down flat on the bed with the legs elevated for long periods.

You can look this up here for a personal discussion on this aspect:

The third thing is a low salt diet. This is also effective in reducing swelling.

Hence, besides the treatment by doctors, these are the three aspects which you should look into which will control the swelling.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We have been doing this, my husband can not lay falt in bed, he has COPD, and louses his breath, when he falls asleep he wakes up breathless, laying in a flat position is out, we have a hospital bed, he sits on the side of it gasping for air. hes a large man, and has major breathing problems, an is on oxigen 24 hour. Hes a sick man. his feet and legs are up on a stool, he keeps them up, we have no reclilner.
You should follow the steps as far as possible, such as the maximum exercise he can get, low salt diet, TED hose, medications like Lasix for which you should consult his doctor.

With these steps he can hope to get relief.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my question was not answered, I wanted to know about the leakage of water coming out of his legs, is this something that should be seen? No not happy with the answer, we have been doing all the above, yet still, no change in his swelling and leakage. and it looks to be getting infected. If infection sets in, what then? guess I should not be cosurned about the sores, yes the swelling is being adressed. But the leakage is not.