Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.
4968719

Can a kenalog celestone injection cause swelling in other parts

Customer Question

Can a kenalog celestone injection cause swelling in other parts of the face
Submitted: 7 years ago via Patientsville.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your question.

Kenalog celestone injections should not lead to swelling. Kenalog is a steroid which helps to decrease inflammation and swelling.

If swelling occurs after a kenalog injection, then infection is a possibility. Any time the skin is penetrated by a needle, there is a possibility of bacterial entry and infection. Infection is especially likely if the swollen area is red and hot.

I hope this answers your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i had a shot in my face for an infected pimple, the next day my nose and cheek swelled, looks like the substance went into those areas and never came out. the area is swollen, numb and it hurts. Is this possible? Is there anything I can do
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.

If the area is not warm/red, then it is possible that the kenalog+lidcocaine mixture got into those areas. This should resolve within 1-2 days. You can apply warm compresses to the area to speed up the process.

If the area is red and hot, then you may have a skin infection.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It has been like this for two months. Is it possible i had a allergic reaction. My face is numb and swelled
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.

If the numbness has persisted for 2 months, it is likely that the a branch of the facial nerve was punctured/damaged during the injection.

Recovery from nerve damage can take up to 4 months. Numbness is the most common symptom. Mild swelling is possible, but your face should not be grossly swollen from a nerve injury.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Im confused , the swelling is not at the site of the injection, the injection shot was my left lower lip. The swelling is in the tip of my nose, it looks like a line that goes from the injection site to my nose . Is it possible the substance is in there? Is it possible the infection is still there, ive taken antibiotics two weeks ago. Will the substance come out?? swelling come down? I canceled my engagement party due to this. The dr who gave me the shot gave me doryx and says its not related. I stop takin doryx because i dont have acne and received a second opinion that told me to stop taking it
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.

That is very odd indeed. It's hard to imagine why the kenalog would travel up to the tip of your nose. If you have taken antibiotics already then infection is unlikely. You may need another visit back to your dermatologist if this doesn't resolve.