A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist

I have just been told that I have an enlarged heart. Does

Customer Question

I have just been told that I have an enlarged heart. Does this put me in great danger?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. What is your age and sex? What medical conditions do you have (hypertension, diabetes, etc.) What medications do you take? What symptoms are you having? How was the enlarged heart discovered?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I went to an urgent care office for chest pain. The doctor there said i should go to the emergency room. They gave me something for the pain. I waited about a week and made an appointment with my doctor. Who also sent me to the emergency room. My EKG was going in the wrong direction. Instead of showing above the line, mine was under the line. I was told that this means my heart is beating slow. The emergency doctor told me to see a heart specialist. I am 59 years old. I have had chest pain for the last 15 years and either I can get pain medication or just bear the pain. It is so strong that I cannot function. The pain is most on the left side near the middle. I have been taking high blood medication for a fast heart beat for the last 10 years. I took ambien for 7 years because I cannot sleep, and now because of cost my doctor has put me on a depression medication with a sleep aid to cut cost.

Hi, Helen,

Thanks for the additional information. Whenever the heart has to work harder to move blood through the body, it can enlarge just as any muscle increases in size when it is worked. I hope you are being referred to a cardiologist who can determine what is causing all your chest pain and get you on the right medications to control it and improve your heart health. Until you have all the cardiac testing, there is no way to tell what is going on exactly. Certainly high blood pressure can cause heart enlargement but so can a number of other things. Testing is required in order to determine how serious the enlargement is and what it means for your overall health.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you I will make an appointment ASAP
You're very welcome. Good luck.