A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

my doctor he always ask about bowels because I have diverticulitis

Sorry to ask such a question, but when I visit my doctor he always ask about bowels because I have diverticulitis and his question is "is it black". I am not near my doctor and have togo to a new one, so why does he ask me that question. Cause recently I had dirreahea really surprising and it was black and now I have constipation and it is black? can youclear this up for me? thanks so much.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. When there is bleeding in the upper part of the digestive system such as the stomach, duodenum, upper part of the small intestine, the blood turns black as it is acted upon by the digestive enzymes as it progresses through the system. That is why your doctor asks if the stool is black. If the bleeding should be from an internal or external hemorrhoid, the stool would be red. Other things that cause color changes in stool are things you eat or drink such as beets, licorice, Kool Aid, Jello, green vegetables, Pepto Bismol, iron tablets, etc. If there is a flare-up of diverticulitis, there might be blood, so your doctor is wanting to check with you to make sure.