Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I have been very sick with fever, body aches and sore throat.

I have been very sick with fever, body aches and sore throat. I thought after a few days of it I had Strep. I went and saw my doctor and he sayed I had fever blisters on the back of my throat and prescribed me antibiotics and Acyclovir. Does that mean I have herpes? I have no lesions anywhere on my lips, face or genitals.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 7 years ago.

Are you symptoms improving with the Acyclovir? How long have you been on the medication?

Did the Dr do a throat swab to check for Strep?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
After about 36 hours of takeing both medications, I have started to feel much better. He did not swab my throat becuase I am self pay and money is very tight.

If the Dr gave you both antibiotics and Valtrex, then he/she is most likely covering all bases with the anti-viral and the antibiotic. Strep will not respond to Valtrex (Acyclovir) as it is an anti-viral type medication and would not be appropriate for Strep infections. However, it will respond to Zithromax, Penicillin, Augmentin and a few others. It is quite possible that you have herpes in the throat (HSV1). HSV2 is generally what we call genital herpes. HSV1 usually invades the head/facial area. To know for sure, you would need to be tested for both HSV1 and HSV2 to see if you carry any antibodies to the virus and this will be definitive on whether or not you have the virus or not. And without a Strep swab, there is no way to know what was treated sucessfully.

If my answer has provided you with some good insight today, please click "Accept" and I will received proper credit for my time and effort, otherwise, will hold your deposit. Before leaving feedback, please let me know if you need clarification or more info.

The info given is intended for educational purposes only. I give no medical advice and do not accept responsibility for the misuse of the information provided. If more info is needed please ask.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How would I have gotten herpes in the throat? Is it strictly from saliva? I have been very stressed and run down for sometime and was wondering if that has anything to do with it.
Herpes is a viral infection that can invade any part of the head or facial region. It can affect your lips, mouth, insides of your cheeks, throat, and nasal area. Herpes is contracted by saliva, coming in contact with infected mucus membranes, or infected skin of a person with Herpes. Being stressed is thought to 'bring on' the virus as your immune system often becomes compromised during times of stress.