Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

Hi. For the past few years, every now and then I get really

Hi. For the past few years, every now and then I get really tight and achy muscles on one side of my body (left side) from my neck to my calf. This is the side I carry my baby on, my purse, diaper bag, etc. It lasts maybe a few days at a time. My question is could I just need a chiropractic adjustment or could this be something serious? I've had it for years, so I'm assuming it's nothing serious.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Besides the achy muscles that improve on their own, do you have other symptoms, such as numbness, or shooting pains, or weakness?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
maybe a little tingling in fingers....that's it :)
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Ok.

Since you're young, and these symptoms are very infrequent (only a few times during the past few years), it probably is just muscle strain from your activities. It could also be because some of those activities have irritated the nerves, which can cause a few days of muscle spasms, pain, and tingling, which then would improve on its own.

I would expect something significant to have symptoms that were constant, or worsening during that time.

And certainly, you're a bit young to really expect degenerative changes (like arthritis) in the neck to be causing such symptoms.

We generally say - it should be concerning if the symptoms last for more than 6 weeks, or continue to get worse instead of better -- then it would be worthwhile seeing a doctor in person.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. XXXXX shouldn't really be worried unless it is constant for a few weeks? What could it be then? I was kinda scared of MS. Really it feels like it starts at my shoulder and goes down to my calf.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Well, even the symptoms of MS usually last for more than a few weeks.

There really isn't a specific nerve that starts at the shoulder and goes all the way down to the calf, so it may be two separate issues (e.g. one in the shoulder, the other in the lower back/leg/calf). But if it is only temporary, and resolves on its own, it probably is not worrisome. It likely is just mild nerve irritation causing muscle spasms.

Of course, telling your doctor and having an exam in person the next time you are in can make sure there isn't anything else that can be missed.