Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

A 66 years of age male suffering from heartburn have been

A 66 years of age male suffering from 'heartburn' have been taking one Zantac 150 tablet a day which helped with initial digestion of a eating of food excellently, however as not a great daily coffee drinker even after a mug of coffee can have an attack of ‘heartburn’ also by drinking red wine. I have been supplementing with Talcid – Hydrotalcite tablets, however I am worried that I can eat 6 to 8 in a day. As I live in Beijing Chinese do you have Chinese brands for me to take to assist my problem?Customer EmailXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

The therapeutic dose of zantac is 150mg twice a day, so by taking only one tablet daily then you are not taking enough to reduce acid secretion. Changing to omeprazole (losec) 20mg once daily may show more benefit and add in Gaviscon (or other alginate) liquid to coat the esophagus.

Cutting out caffeine and wine completely can help, but if there is an underlying hiatus hernia then you may need surgical repair to completely eliminate the problem.

Raise the head of the bed at night to avoid reflux which can irritate the esophagus, and avoid tight fitting clothes around the waist.

In terms of Chinese options, Chinese herbal medication is a specialized field and not always subject to same testing as present in UK and US medication. You would be advised to see a local practitioner for a full consultation if that was the route you wished.

Peppermint tea is very good for wind and cramps but less so for heartburn.

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your answer I will work on your recommendations. I am a Brit and last in UK last summer my doctor gave me Lansoprazole of which I have now run out of. As I am in Chinese I was not looking for a Chinese herbal medical - I have to buy over the counter - no subscribtion. I did manage to buy what you recommended Omeman capsule - Omeprazole 20 mg however I think that was when I was in Thailand. I get my Zantac 150 from my Canadian friend who brings them back from Canada. I will look more harder in Beijing for your Omeprazole 20 mg as I have found some very phamacies there. Thanks one again. Steve