Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Doctor
Experience:  6 years of experience as family physician, general practitioner; MD Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma

what is the arrangement of the Neoplasm Table and when it

what is the arrangement of the Neoplasm Table and when it is used?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Bhumika replied 5 years ago.

Cancer is the number two cause of death in the United States - nearly 23 percent of all deaths.

ICD-9-CM is the document which contains details on the Neoplasm table.

Since there are many treatment protocols and programs, there is to be a way to generate in large part by the coded data from health care institutions nationwide. As a result of accurately identifying these cases, researchers are able to ascertain whether certain patterns exist, such as higher incidence of a particular malignancy in certain geographic areas of the country or in specific age brackets. These findings then can be investigated to determine whether underlying triggers are present and can be eliminated, or their impact lessened.

The Neoplasm Table is arranged by anatomical site for each row and the type of histological behavior (malignant, benign, uncertain behavior and unspecified) is described across the columns.

The neoplasm table contains code numbers for neoplasms by anatomical site. For each site there are six possible code numbers according to whether the neoplasm in question is malignant, benign, in situ, of uncertain behavior, or of unspecified nature.

The description of the neoplasm will often indicate which of the six columns is appropriate; e.g., malignant melanoma of skin, benign fibroadenoma of breast, carcinoma in situ of cervix uteri.

When such descriptors are not present, the remainder of the Index should be consulted where guidance is given to the appropriate column for each morphological (histological) variety listed

However, the guidance in the Index can be overridden if one of the descriptors mentioned above is present; e.g., malignant adenoma of colon is coded to C18.9 and not to D12.6 as the adjective "malignant" overrides the Index entry "Adenoma-see also Neoplasm, benign."

Sites marked with the sign * (e.g., face NEC*) should be classified to malignant neoplasm of skin of these sites if the variety of neoplasm is a squamous cell carcinoma or an epidermoid carcinoma and to benign neoplasm of skin of these sites if the variety of neoplasm is a papilloma (any type).

I hope this helped. Please let me know if you need any further help.

Please click ACCEPT to help me get my dues. You may add a bonus.

Best regards
Dr Bhumika, Doctor
Experience: 6 years of experience as family physician, general practitioner; MD Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma