Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Doctor
Experience:  6 years of experience as family physician, general practitioner; MD Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma

south east asia; forgat the name of it; in the past 3 mounths

Customer Question

there is a countaigus fever in south east asia; forgat the name of it; in the past 3 mounths!!! what do you know about it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Bhumika replied 5 years ago.

Are you talking about the Dengue fever?
Dr Bhumika, Doctor
Experience: 6 years of experience as family physician, general practitioner; MD Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes the Dengue fever?

Dengue fever is an acute febrile diseases, found in the tropics, Asia and Africa, and caused by four closely related virus serotypes of the genus Flavivirus, family Flaviviridae.
It is also known as breakbone fever.

Unlike malaria, dengue is equally prevalent in urban as well as rural areas. Each serotype is sufficiently different and there is no cross-protection

It is transmitted to humans by mosquito called Aedes aegypti

The disease manifests as a sudden onset of severe headache, muscle and joint pains high grade fever, and rash.The rash is bright red petechiae and appears first on the lower limbs and the chest;
Other symptoms include, gastritis with associated abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
Dengue fever lasts about six to seven days,

Clinically, the platelet count will drop until the patient's temperature is normal.

Dengue Hemorrhagic fever is a dangerous version of the disease. Cases of DHF also show higher fever, variable haemorrhagic phenomena, thrombocytopenia, and haemoconcentration. Some cases may lead to dengue shock syndrome (DSS) which has a high mortality rate.

The diagnosis is made clinically. The classic picture is high fever with no localising source of infection, a petechial rash with thrombocytopenia and relative leukopenia - low platelet and white blood cell count.

Dengue shock syndrome includes:

* Weak rapid pulse,
    * Narrow pulse pressure (less than 20 mm Hg)
    * Cold, clammy skin and restlessness.

Serology and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) studies are available to confirm the diagnosis of dengue if clinically indicated.

Treatment is supportive therapy to tackle shock due to haemoconcentration and bleeding. Increased oral fluid intake is recommended to prevent dehydration. Supplementation with intravenous fluids may be necessary to prevent dehydration and significant concentration of the blood if the patient is unable to maintain oral intake. A platelet transfusion is indicated in rare cases if the platelet level drops significantly (below 20,000) or if there is significant bleeding.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you may have any questions.

Please click ACCEPT to help me get my dues.

Best regards