Dr PG M.D.
Dr PG M.D., Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MS

Is it just a coincidence or can an epidural steroid injection

Is it just a coincidence or can an epidural steroid injection L5 S1 (lower back) have caused incontinence? I have very little sensation now concerning my bladder. They want to give me another injection for pain, but I am fearful of what could happen.
An injury to a nerve can sometimes occur with an epidural injection if the needle hits the nerve. These nerve injuries are usually temporary and slowly improve with time. I agree, before the next injection I would advise you to get an evaluation done. It is not necessary that a second injection will cause further injury or worsen your symptoms. But it would be better to get a check up at the site of injection to rule out any swelling or minor bleeding etc.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The injection was done November of 2008 can I expect to get better after this length of time or has this been too long? How long is slowly??
The recovery depends on the extent of injury (if the symptoms are due to the epidural injection). In some cases, it can take as long as 1 year for the recovery. Since November 2008, there should be some improvement in your symptoms if the nerve is getting healed.