Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

Im 19 years old, male, and have been passing blood and mucus

I'm 19 years old, male, and have been passing blood and mucus for about two months now. When the problem started, I was passing mucus and occasionally a drop or two of blood. The problem went away by itself two weeks later, but then started again all of a sudden - this time occurring more frequently and with more blood than before. There is no pain, though. I did go to the doctor who for some reason prescribed me an antibiotic which didn't really do anything. He then did a fecal occult test which came out positive (even though I could see the blood with my own eyes), and is currently in the process of scheduling an appointment for me with a specialist. As for family history, no one in my family including my grandfathers and grandmothers has had any kind of cancer, although my dad does have ulcerative colitis.
Category: Health
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 8 years ago.
You need to undergo lower GI endoscopy to evaluate the cause of blood in stool .
Especially you have the family history of Ulcerative colitis. Although ulcerative colitis has no known cause, there is a presumed genetic component to susceptibility.

Current research suggests that certain genetic factors may increase the likelihood that a family member could develop ulcerative colitis (UC).
Other causes of blood in stool include-
Hemorrhoids

Lower GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy is the examination of the entire colon (colonoscopy) of the rectum and sigmoid colon (flexible fiberoptic sigmoidoscopy).
For further reading -
: http://www.mcw.edu/display/docid2563.htm

I suggest you to consult Gastroenterologist for further evaluation and management.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, my doctor is scheduling an appointment for me to undergo an endoscopy, but until then there is little I can do besides keeping the problem from getting worse. I do know that there can be many causes for blood and mucus in stool, but which is most likely in my case?

Again, the only symptoms I'm experiencing are rectal bleeding and passage of excess mucus.
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 8 years ago.
Patients with ulcerative colitis usually present with diarrhea mixed with blood and mucus .
So clinically speaking symptoms need further evaluation to rule out ulcerative colitis .
The presence of the disease cannot be confirmed without further medical test like lower GI endoscopy .
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I haven't had diarrhea for almost a whole year now, and even then it was very mild and lasted for only one day. According to the Bristol Stool Scale, mine are well-formed. Could there still be a chance of me having Ulcerative Colitis? I realize that you cannot give me a sure answer over the internet, so all I'm asking for is the likelihood of me having UC at my age.
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 8 years ago.

The cause is of ulcerative colitis is unknown. It may affect any age group, although there are peaks at ages 15 to 30 and then again at ages 50 to 70.

The symptoms vary in severity and may start gradually or suddenly.

Diarrhea can vary from only a few episodes to very frequently throughout the day.