Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

was getting up at @ 3a.m. to get ready for work

Customer Question

Am having some problems that may have started a few weeks ago. was getting up at @ 3a.m. to get ready for work. Found that my equalibream was off and had to be checked at a hospital.Doctors gave me medacation for motion sickness. started drinking alot of fluids and taking some motrin for pain. Yesterday I started feeling light headed and felt a small fever and nausea when eating an oatmeal cookie. Now I am starting with some sneezing and coughing that causes my chest muscles to tighten up. Is this just a good virus or might it be something major? Currently am not spiting up any phlem af any kind
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I think that there are two differnt things going on. First, when your equilibrium is 'off', this can be related to a problem in your ear. Pehaps you can give me a little more detail about what you were told at the hospital. A medication for motion sickness can be used for the dizziness. I just want to know that your blood pressure is normal and you were not experiencing a drop in your pressure, requiring the visit to the hospital. Please let me know just what the doctor told you.

Second, the sneezing and coughing can be from a cold coming on, and a decongestant would help to alleviate the congestion, along with with plenty of water and other fluids. However, if you have a bacterial infection, you would need to get antibiotics from the doctor.

You can continue the aspirin or tylenol for the fever?

If you have a viral infection then it would have to run it's course.

How is your dizziness or off balance feeling, currently doing? Are you having any pain?

Before you take a decongestant, please tell me what medications you are currently taking.

Terry

Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience: Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
Expert:  Terry replied 5 years ago.

"Back on 3/2/09 Dr.prescribed a generic for ZOFRAN TO TAKE AS NEEDED FOR NAUSEA AND MECLIZINE 3 TIMES A DAY FOR DIZZINESS. i BELIEVE THE DISCHARGE PAPERS SUGGESTED SEEING A EAR DR. AND A NEUROLOGIST"

Thank you for the information and for the 'accept'.

Are you still taking either of these medications? Are you still dizzy? If you are having ear pain then that might explain your dizziness. This is the reason that you were referred to an ear doctor. If you are still having symptoms, then I strongly suggest that you make an appointment. If you have fluid or infection in your ear, it can result in an off balance feeling. A simple infection is treated with antibiotics. The ER doctor would have prescribed an antibiotic if this was the case. Feeling dizzy can affect everything you do and the cause should be determined and then treated. The ear doctor is the first visit you should set up if you are still having symptoms. In the meantime you can apply mild heat to your ear with compresses or heating pad.

It is free to reply.

Terry